The From Breast Cancer Health Center: 10 Questions to Ask the Breast Cancer Surgeon
- Why are you recommending this procedure?
- What are the risks? How do they compare with the benefits?
- How do I prepare for surgery? Is there a special bra I should purchase?
- What type of anesthesia will I have?
- What happens during and right after surgery?
- Who do I talk to about breast reconstruction?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- Are there any complications?
- When can I go back to work and resume normal activities?
- What are the risks of lymphedema?
Before surgery, your surgeon should provide:
- Specific instructions to follow in the days before surgery
- An overview of the surgical procedures
- Information about recovery, follow-up care and products you may need