The Power of Blue … antioxidants, fiber, all the good stuff for a healthy treat.
1 2/3 cup quick cooking oats
2/3 cup flour
¾ cup packed light brown sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
¾ tsp salt
1 ½ cups low-fat buttermilk
¼ cup canola oil
2 tsp grated lemon rind
2 large eggs
2 cups (1 pint) fresh blueberries (or raspberries)
2 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place oats in a food processor – pulse 5-6 times until they resemble oat flour. Place in a large bowl.
- Add flour and next 5 ingredients (through salt) to oats; stir well. Make a well in center of mixture.
- Combine buttermilk and next 3 ingredients (through eggs). Add to flour mixture; stir just until moist.
- Toss berries with 2 Tbsp flour and gently fold into batter (this will prevent the muffins from turning purple and not sinking to the bottom.) Spoon batter into 16 muffin cups coated with cooking spray; sprinkle 2 Tbsp granulated sugar (or try cinnamon sugar) evenly over batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Remove from pans immediately and place on a wire rack to cool.